Sunday, May 24, 2009

Summer in the City


Good morning, Gentle Readers!

In honor of this early taste of summer some of us are experiencing, I present the image of the day, and a song by The Lovin' Spoonfuls, for those of us who are familiar with the music of that time: Summer in the City!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLdv4a3AVIY

Right now it does look like it's going to rain- But until it does, I'm not going to bet on it actually cooling off.

So far, I haven't actually spoken of anything serious. But today I will present survival tips for the heat.

1) Wear loose clothing so your own body heat won't be trapped against you.
2) Drink plenty of liquids, especially water. I've found teas to be very effective too. Dehydration can make one quite ill, and has been a major cause of death during heat waves.
3) Take cooling showers.
4) When you're drinking cold things, hold the glass against a pulse in your wrist: Your blood passes close to the surface there and will be cooled enough to cool off the rest of your body.
5) If it really gets hot, soak hand towels and freeze them, and wear them wrapped around your head and neck. It looks funny I know, but it will keep your comfortable. I did this a lot before my husband and I got an air conditioner.

Stay safe and well, Gentle Readers!

No comments:

Post a Comment