Friday, January 7, 2011

Scholarly Honesty?

Good Afternoon, Gentle Readers!

Today's image is titled Peek A Boo! It wasn't exactly planned, but I noticed there was a great resemblance between the 'opening' in the main image and the shape of a human eye. Thus, the name.

Last night in the class, we were told to use a Certificate Of Originality. This seems to be an honor-system thing to prevent students from plagiarizing or otherwise cheating, but I can't say I really like it. For one thing, adding this certificate will really play havoc with the formatting of the papers, unless I do some fancy copy-pasting instead of otherwise inserting it into the document. For another, it is a bit of an insult to honest students and will not stop the dishonest ones from lying. I will say that this certificate might make the dishonest ones think twice. We shall see what happens.

Until We Meet, Gentle Readers...

2 comments:

  1. Certificate of Originality?

    I've never even heard of this before! What does it look like, and how the heck do you do one?

    Hope I don't have to put up with that kind of nonsense when I finally do get to my Bachelor's study.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a note that was in the materials section of my student forum. Pretty much what you do is put your name and the date in the proper field, and make sure it's attached to your work.

    ReplyDelete