Thursday, December 16, 2010

Cold Weather Survival

Good Afternoon, Gentle Readers!

Today's image is titled Sunny Ball. I made it last night because I thought that a few more nice warm images were in order.

Talk about prophetic! It was cloudy when I got up this morning, and less than an hour later it was snowing- a fine snow that nonetheless came down thick, and I've a feeling that will stick around a bit because the chill of the week before would have taken some of the heat from the ground!

Since the snow and chill are going to stay around for a while, some cold-weather survival tips are in order.

1) Wear layers. Several thinner layers will, in most cases, keep you warmer than one thick one. Not only that, if you get too warm you can take a layer off without sacrificing all of your protection.
2) Keep hot drinks on hand. Not only will that keep you warm, it will keep you from dehydrating. Believe it or not, dehydrating is a problem in winter because people are less likely to notice that they need liquid.
3) Keep your head and feet dry if you must go outside. Most heat in the human body is lost through the head. This is the same principle that makes icepacks on the head effective for keeping one from overheating.
4) If you must drive, SLOW DOWN! Snow and ice make roads hazardous. Some years ago I remember crossing a bridge on my way to work and I looked back down at the intersection behind me- and some fool was barreling out of there like he was on the Indiana race track, even though the snow and ice were up to my knees.
5) Invest in a good pair of gloves. Your hands will thank you for it.
6) If you're prone to cold feet- and I am- Wear socks to bed. You'll sleep better.

Stay warm, Gentle Readers!

Until We Meet...

No comments:

Post a Comment